Wednesday, November 17, 2010

In my head (beginning)

"Can I do anything?"
I look up at him, leaning against the sink, not even looking at me. He asked because he's *supposed* to ask, it's the polite thing to do, not because he really wants to do anything for me. He wants me to say no. I briefly consider saying yes, asking him to make me some tea or get a cool cloth for my neck. Instead I moan "no" into the toilet bowl.
He looks at me as he straightens, I know I look awful, my pajamas have stains on them, I haven't washed my hair in days, my skin looks like hell.
"It's just morning sickness," he says over his shoulder as he leaves my tiny bathroom, not even big enough for a tub. "I'm heading to work. And, ah, you know how tired you are at the end of the day. I probably won't be stopping by this evening. You know, let you get some rest. So I'll see you tomorrow night?"
It's not really a question so I don't really answer. I hear the door close as I fill the toilet and empty my stomach once again.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. Does this mean you're writing again (fingers crossed)?

    ReplyDelete